I did struggle a bit to get my program flashed onto both boards. One board I could, and the other it would return with an incorrect response. I tried moving it (the most basic ATMEGA328 circuit ever), I even moved it to another breadboard, same problem. Then when I was considering moving the circuit to the working breadboard, I noticed it. A 1uF capacitor between the power rails. Damn it! I put it in and it worked perfectly.
So remember folks, always capacitize your power rails, you never know what it can save you from.
So once I got the boards working, I plugged the RFM12B modules down, and loaded up the RF12serial sketch (which is a part of JeeLabs jeenode library). I figured since I had serial, it would be a good thing to try. It didn’t work, and it was because each modem has a specific address and configuration that needs to be saved into the eeprom before it can be used.
So I then loaded the RF12demo sketch, and followed the readme to get it configured. And it worked. Its pretty awesome that both of these RFM12B modules worked so simply. I didn’t have to consult data sheets (well to get the pinout, but not for configuring it), I just loaded the sketch, and it worked. Kudo’s goes to you Jean-Claude Wippler at JeeLabs!
When i loaded up the RF12serial sketch after configuring the modules, it still didn’t work. But I have something that works, and that gives me a good starting point. Progress!!!